Monday 12 November 2012

If You're Happy and You Know It, Punish Yourself

by Quercus


Last week's trip to the psychologist met with an interesting revelation. I was recounting my waves of despair, the debilitating 'break-downs' I occasionally have to endure. They seem to come out of nowhere for the most part, and I can't do much to stop them.

I've forgotten much of what he said (of course! Mind like a sieve!), but I wanted to know where these mental tsunamis were coming from.

He said the following:
"You cannot allow yourself to be happy. You have much to be happy for, but you cannot permit yourself to see it as such. When you do feel happy, you quickly punish yourself. You cause your own misery. It isn't a conscious decision to do so, but you have learned that when you are happy, your mother will hurt you. Because this happened chronically throughout your childhood, you had to adapt - so you punish yourself, you make yourself miserable, and you avoid having your mother hurting you. It was more tolerable for you to be hurt by yourself than it was to deal with your mother intentionally hurting you."
So I said, "Aha! This makes sense! So . . . all I have to do is allow myself to feel happy!" ("Yes."). "So if I focus on all the positives in my life, spend the rest of the day counting my blessings, it'll be good for me, won't it? I'll just let myself be happy!"

And he said,
"Oh no. No, you can't feel happy! If you do, you're going to drown yourself in another tidal wave of despair!"
It turns out that whenever I feel happy, part of me kicks in to induce misery. It's an automated response. So I said, "Really? Now that I know where they're coming from, can't I simply prevent those thoughts?"

He said,
"But you can't. You don't have control over that part of your mind. It's unconscious, it's practically independent of your thoughts."
So I said, "Well, what can we do, then? If I can't do anything about it, isn't it hopeless then? If I can't challenge that part of my mind, then will I be forced to endure it forever?!"


It was a long conversation after that, but the nuts and bolts of it were:
  • Therapy allows me to become aware of the unconscious part of my mind. My psychologist holds up a metaphorical mirror to get me to see parts of me I don't have access to. A different analogy would be that he points out the keyholes, and I peek through to catch glimpses of my unconscious mind from behind locked doors.
  • When I become aware of it, slowly it will move towards the conscious part of my mind (this takes time, and isn't something I logically understand, but it is something I can feel, in a manner of speaking). To carry on with the keyhole analogy, I eventually craft the appropriate keys and open the doors.
  • Once it crosses over into the conscious realm of my mind, I'm then able to challenge it, battle it, slay it, that sort of thing. Once I can open the doors, I can move about in the space behind the doors (it becomes accessible - I can interact with the space). Now I can start straightening things out, rearranging objects, changing the space to suit me.
I guess this is why therapy is such a 'process'. It's not easy, either emotionally or practically speaking. But it's worth it.

Healing Daughter commenting on a previous post spurred me to write today. It was her comment that said:
"I will say it takes years to correct your mother's voice, and even now, 13 months later I can still hear my mother's voice sometimes clear as day, but the difference is slapping those critical remarks down."
It does take time to quash the negativity. And the weirdest thing is, though we hear our abusive parent's voice, it's really our own minds telling us these things, over and over again. We have been conditioned to do so. We are doing the dirty-work of the narcissistic parents for them.

In my case, it appears to be going on behind locked doors in my mind. I have to break-in and and stop the despair-wave-generating machines. It just takes a little while to find the keyholes in the dark (or am I blind?), with the help of my psychologist leading me to them. Then we have to work together to jimmy the locks or carve a key to fit. In the meanwhile, I have to ride out the storms that my unconscious mind generates.

Ironically, it appears that my unconscious mind prefers injuring me to allowing my mother to injure me. I've been a self-punishing child for years. This is the insidious legacy that the abusive, narcissistic parent leaves us. A legacy of self-hatred, self-flagellation to keep us where they want us: beaten down, never to rise higher or level to themselves. The Narcissist has to be the 'top dog', the 'alpha male or female', the creme de la creme. They gave birth to us to be small versions of them. They did not bargain for us growing up to become more than what they are, or even equal to themselves in stature. That's where all the trouble lies - if only we could remain small, helpless, dependent and attached. Then we might have been loved, albeit conditionally. It was an impossible role for us to fill.

An admission - I didn't want to grow up. Not only did being a grown-up look miserable to me, I also knew that the more I grew and learned and developed, the less I was loved.


Do you know what my NM said to this? That I must have enjoyed my childhood SO MUCH that I didn't want to grow up.

The truth was I hated my childhood, and feared my life was only about to get worse. And I was right.

There is good news, though. It seems that, once I distance myself from her, I can break-in to parts of my own mind, with the help of a good and competent shrink, and reprogram the brainwashed parts. Now, for the first time in my life, I can legitimately look forward to a brighter future.


I would like to encourage all readers to seek good and appropriate therapy. It's never too late for therapy, and it may help you more than you could ever realise. Remember to shop around for the right fit! Just as the wrong sized shoe isn't helpful, a poor match for you in the therapist department is going to be a wasted investment and a source of discomfort.

6 comments:

  1. "It turns out that whenever I feel happy, part of me kicks in to induce misery. It's an automated response." This makes a lot of sense, your therapist is awesome. I have realised that these recorded messages in the brain launch their own misery program but I had never connected to it happening when I'm being happy. Wow, a lot to ponder, thanks so much for sharing this with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kara!

      I didn't connect it to being happy/satisfied/at peace, either! There was nothing "wrong" at the time, and I figured the suicide tsunamis were linked to a "wrongness". They're linked to the absence of wrongness! Hard to see!

      Yeah, I'm really blessed to have the psychologist that I do. I shopped around a little (by email, etc.), and interviewed two that I had short-listed. This guy came right out on top. I really can't encourage people enough to seek out someone helpful and useful!

      In the meantime, I'll share my insight in the hope that it helps others! ;-)

      Delete
  2. QG, Thanks for these thoughts. I also recognize myself in your post. I spent years feeling guilty about feeling happy. I still struggle to "qualify" my happiness or dismiss it, as I not only don't feel I deserve it, but I also feel it angers and upsets my NM. She is very jealous and spiteful, and my being happy and content equates me with being simplistic and unimportant in her mind. I've gotten a lot better about not allowing me to punish me, but I still struggle at times.
    I also found what you said about not wanting to grow up so interesting. For me, I couldn't wait to get the hell out. I couldn't wait to run far, far away and be a grown up. BUT, my sister still struggles to be a grown up. I wondered, as I read your post, if that's because she worries that if she grows up, she won't be "loved" anymore. Because, to her, she only feels love if people are rushing to care for her, if she has some drama that she needs rescuing from, or if her family is taking on her responsibilities. I wonder if she "grows up" she feels she'll no longer be loved. Thanks for helping me think of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessie,

      I felt both a desire to get the heck out and one to some how 'stop the clock'. The urge to get out was greater, but NM kept bringing up my "Puer aeternus" syndrome (though not in those words) as proof of her fantastic mothering.

      I really only remember crying out once in complete fear because the older I got, the more my mother took away from me (I wasn't receiving help with this, or money for that, etc. Every year she took away more and more. I wasn't given anything new in compensation, least of all love). I think I was probably about 10 years old - she was forcing me to grow up sooner than I was ready.

      Mulderfan linked to a fantastic article by Marcia Sirota recently, and at the bottom of that, I discovered a link to another fantastic article by the same person:

      http://marciasirotamd.com/trauma-recovery/the-inevitability-of-fractured-sibling-relationships-in-dysfunctional-families

      I think you might like to read this, too? I hope you don't get a betrayal like this happening in the future. :-(

      Delete
  3. I read this somewhere and it stuck with me: "We all have a right to be happy, simply by virtue of being born."

    One of my addiction counselors made me understand that I was the author of my own destruction. He asked, "If you knock on your neighbour's door and he opens it then punches you in the face, who is at fault? If you go back the next day and the next and the next, each time getting punched in the face, who is at fault now?"

    Another time he handed me a kleenex box and said, "Here take this." and I did. He took it back and asked, "What if I told you this kleenex box was guilt and responsibility?" Then he handed it to me again and I refused to take it.

    You're in control, and just as your mother trained your mind to believe the worst you have the power to retrain it. Start by walking past the door without knocking and refusing to accept the kleenex box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere along a winding trail I ended up here and feel 'at home'. I have struggled with the 'happiness' issue for several years now and have just recently started to make progress. Had lots of other issues to do battle with and conquer before I was able to face this one. Your "key hole" analogies were exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you for providing more light to increase my understanding in this area.

    You also hit a nerve with these words: "They did not bargain for us growing up to become more than what they are, or even equal to themselves in stature. That's where all the trouble lies - if only we could remain small, helpless, dependent and attached."

    I didn't learn it till after my divorce 5 years ago, (now age 60, ended a 30 yr marriage to a n ) but, I grew up with a possibly n dad and n brother and n sister. And I see n tendencies in my grown daughter. So I've been basically caught in a huge spiderweb of n conflict and confusion all around me. Your comment above fits with my FOO and it fits with my relationship to my children as well. I never felt I had permission stop being small, helpless, dependent and attached. (or happy) So when I got divorced, and also had to face the detachment of my grown children as well, you can well imagine the pain of the confusion of being forced to be strong and independent and my only source of financial support, and yet inside, thinking the only 'right' way to be is "attached" and dependent to others. It was not just a simple matter of cutting the apron strings, even though that was indeed part of the formula of what I had to do to "grow up" and become my own individual adult. I always sensed a fear of being "more than" my parents and siblings, and then felt fear and also anger and resentment that my kids seemingly 'abandoned' me by becoming that which I could not be - free, individual adults. For them to no longer need me, and seem to even not want me in their life has been a huge ache of confusion for me to deal with.

    Thank you so much for sharing. I've been dealing with all this new info about narcissism on my own, doing all the work on my own with God's help and guidance, and on-line information. I haven't had anyone in 'real' life to talk to about it. Your post above has been a huge help in providing a few more pieces of the huge puzzle I've been working on for years. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete